About the Gardner's!

My photo
This is us! Jared, Stefanie, Anna and Aiden! Anna is 4 and Aiden is 2, time flies so fast! We're doing our best to enjoy life and take every obstacle head on! :) I'm hoping to have this blog be about all the happy things in our life and keep it mostly positive! Obviously, we have things in our lives that aren't so great, but I'll do my best to keep this as uplifting as possible ;)

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Little Things

Having two small kids of my own, I've realized that it's the little things in life that really matter. We have a beautiful home, Jared has a great job, we have two cars, we have food, blankets, etc. We have all of our necessities in life, but it's not the big things that really count in the long run. Making the little things count is what makes such a big difference in our lives. The other day the kids and I were kinda bored, it was just another stay-at-home day. So what did we do? We sat at the kitchen table and colored. Doing something simple like that was so much fun! Not only did it make me feel like a kid again, but it helped my children's creativity grow. Anna can write her "A's", so we were able to practice that some more as well. Just sitting there coloring with two of the most important people in my life was priceless. We'll definitely do more coloring in the future ;)
As I write this, my kids have taken all the pillows and cushions off the couch. Typically in the past, I'd get really irritated and tell them to put them all back. But now I've realized, what's the big deal? Sure it'll be nice one day to have couches with cushions that are attached, but right now my kids are bouncing around the living room, trying to stay on the pillows and cushions. What does it remind you of? For me, it reminds me of when I was a kid and the floor was volcano lava and you had to do everything possible not to touch the floor or you would die! Remember doing that? My kids, in some form, are doing the same stuff I did as a kid, and so I just let them play :) Something little like that is what makes a big deal in the long run, because if I remember doing that as a kid, maybe they will too :)
Earlier this week, we had a small snow storm, plenty of snow had accumulated. What did Anna want to do?? Play in the snow! Now, if you know me, you know that I DETEST the snow. There isn't ONE thing I like about it. Yes, I know I live in Utah where it's always inevitable ;). Last weekend, I had bought Anna some snow boots, mittens and a hat, because she didn't have any yet, and I told her she could finally play in the snow when it snows again. Of course it just HAD to snow a few days later. She woke up Jared and I in the morning and was bursting with joy that it had snowed! I had her wait until after lunchtime to go since it was still snowing a lot outside. It stopped after lunchtime so I got her all bundled up and sent her out into the backyard to play in the snow. Boy, was she EXCITED! She kept saying she couldn't wait to play in the snow. What did she do in the snow? She just picked it up and threw it in the air. My poor kids are so deprived of playing in the snow ;). She played out there for about a half hour before coming inside (and taking two potty breaks, oy), but as I watched her play, I really was once again reminded of the little things, and how I remember playing in the snow when I was a kid. I just sat at the kitchen table, looking out the sliding glass door at my daughter happily playing in the snow. I had dreaded it because I didn't like the snow and didn't want to have to deal with my kids in the snow, but it turned out so great, I remembered it's not about me, it's about them. Watching Anna joyfully play in the snow like that was priceless, it made me so happy to see her so happy. My kids are creating memories and I'm helping them do that. I feel so honored to have such a pleasure as that in life :)
As you can tell, my life kinda revolves around my kids, since I'm with them ALL the time, but that's ok with me. I love them with all my heart and enjoy doing the little things in life with them. They teach me so much and definitely one thing I've learned is to slow down and enjoy the little things in life :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love this post Stef! Your so right that is about the little things in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alyse, you're so sweet ;)

    ReplyDelete